- List your home at a price that is both reasonable and fair
- Make sure your home stands out from the rest (hint: home staging!)
Since we know that making your home stand out, making sure it is as visually pleasing as possible, is an important part of selling your home, can you DIY this step, or should you hire a professional home stager?
Professional home stagers will assess the areas of the home to determine:
- how to best arrange the furniture to make the rooms look larger
- determine what, if any, areas need some fresh paint & what colors will look best to help you sell
- determine if any additional artwork or accessories will help enhance your space to buyers
- catch all the small things that you miss because you are living in the home and may have been looking at so long you don’t even notice they are there
If you decide to do the home staging yourself, here are some tips:
- clean the home inside and out
- get rid of all clutter, including on counter tops and in closets & cupboards
- make sure everything is in working order
- all light bulbs function and are the same wattage
- remove dated and worn furniture
- use accessories to enhance key features of the home
If you aren’t sure of what to do, contact a local home stager and have them create a written consultation report of what should be done. This will allow you to assess what items should be completed by a professional, and what items may be done DIY style. This may also help you save money by focusing on the things that are most important and will bring the biggest return on investment.
Speaking of return on investment, here are HomeGain’s top 10 home improvement projects when selling your home.